Saturday, May 2, 2015

Monthly Meeting of the Artists

PRESENTER: MICHELLE LITELL

The Mid-Ohio Fine Arts Society will hold its monthly membership meeting at the Harding Centre in the Garden Room on Thursday, May 14th, beginning at 6PM. Membership meetings are held the second Thursday of every month. This month, we will be hearing from Michelle Litell. 

Michelle tells us a little about herself:

Always living a life filled with creating things, I was never content without some kind of project going. But after finding myself unable to work. I needed a creative outlet more than ever. I started making handmade books in 2007 as a homeschool project. I began with simple pamphlet and overlock stitched bindings and discovered that I really loved the possibilities in blank books. Curious as to what other styles I was able to create, I began searching for any information I could find on bookbinding and found instructions in the library as well as the internet. I soon discovered that l loved both coptic and long stitch binding methods and worked hard to perfect my techniques.

My hard bound coptie stitch books are made with hand cut book board, specialty papers, and are hand sewn using ancient bookbinding techniques with Irish waxed linen thread. While I adore paper, I found myself drawn to leather as well. I've been teaching myself different leatherworking techniques, learning to cut and dye leather for journals. Many of the leather books have hand burned images, monograms, or sayings. I like to add special touches to the books such as vintage ephemera, skeleton keys, and special inspirational sayings.

As I was perfecting my skills, my friends and family encouraged me to sell my creations and My Chimelle was born. I currently sell at The Guild in Marion, several other boutiques in Ohio, as well as art and craft shows and online. I see my books as the first part of the creative poccess. I make them to give other people a place where they can express their own creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment